450g / 15.9 oz clams
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 garlic clove, sliced
1/2 tsp chilli flakes
6 stems cavolo nero, cores removed and leaves sliced
100ml / 3.5 fl oz white wine
200g / 7.1 oz orecchiette
30g / 1.1 oz butter
small bunch of basil, leaves picked
lemon zest, finely grated, to serve
- Soak the clams in a bowl of cold water in a colander to help remove any grit. Tap them each on the kitchen surface. If the shells close or are already closed put them aside for cooking; any that don’t shut should be discarded.
- Heat the olive oil in a wide frying pan that has a lid. Add the sliced garlic, chilli flakes and cavolo nero and fry for two minutes until the garlic is lightly golden.
- Turn up the heat, splash in the white wine, and add the clams. Cover with a lid and simmer until all the clams have opened. Any that don’t, throw away.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pan of salted water to the boil. Add the orecchiette and cook for 8 minutes or according to pack instructions. Drain, reserving a spoonful of the pasta water, and toss through the loose sauce with the butter.
- Season and tear through the basil. Serve with a scattering of lemon zest.