300g / 10.6 oz Greek yogurt
2 large garlic cloves, crushed
60ml / 2.1 fl oz pomegranate molasses
1 tbsp sumac
1 whole chicken, about 1.8-2kg
200g / 7.1 oz red rice, either carmague or gaba
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil,
plus extra to loosen the rice
Zest and juice of a lemon
2 tsp honey
1 head radicchio, sliced
50g / 1.8 oz pomegranate seeds
1 bunch dill, leaves only, roughly chopped
handful mint, leaves picked
30g / 1.1 oz raisins
lime wedges to serve
- Mix together the yogurt, garlic, molasses and sumac with a good pinch of salt. Rub it all over the chicken and leave to marinate for at least 30 minutes at room temperature or up to 12 hours in the fridge. Bring the chicken out of the fridge for 30 minutes before roasting.
- When ready to roast, heat the oven to 200°C/ fan 180°C/ gas 6. Place the chicken in a roasting tin, sprinkle with salt and roast for 1 hour 15 minutes until deep golden, or until the juices run clear when you pierce the thickest part of the thigh. Remove from the oven, cover loosely with foil and leave to rest.
- While the chicken is roasting, cook the rice. Rinse the rice well once or twice then fill a pan with cold water and a pinch of salt. Bring to the boil. Add the rice and boil for 30 minutes until tender then drain. Put the rice in a bowl and drizzle with a little oil.
- Make the dressing. Squeeze the juice of the lemon into a jam jar with the zest, olive oil and honey and season well with salt and pepper. Screw on the lid of the jar and shake to emulsify. Toss the dressing through the rice with the radicchio, pomegranate seeds, herbs and raisins. Taste and season again if necessary.
- Serve alongside the chicken with wilted chard and wedges of lime.