200g / 7 oz buckwheat soba or wheat udon noodles
8 fresh oyster mushrooms
50g / 1.7 oz edamame beans
1 tbsp black or white sesame seeds
For the radishes
150g / 5 oz radishes washed, trimmed and finely sliced or quartered, green tops reserved
2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
pinch of sea salt
1 tsp sugar
2 tbsp pickled sushi ginger, drained
For the dressing
1–2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
1–2 tbsp soy sauce, or to taste
2-3 tbsp toasted sesame oil
large thumb of ginger, peeled and grated
juice of a lime
2 tbsp ponzu
1/2 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
2 spring onions, finely sliced
coriander to garnish
- Make the pickled radishes. Toss the sliced radishes in a bowl with the vinegar, salt and sugar. Set aside in a cool place for 2 hours. Add the sushi ginger just before serving.
- Heat a little groundnut oil in a pan over a medium-high heat. Fry the mushrooms until the liquid has evaporated then sprinkle with salt.
- Meanwhile, in a separate pan, boil the soba noodles according to the packet instructions. Drain, run under cool water and set aside.
- Make the dressing. Mix the ingredients together. Taste and adjust as required: more soy for salt, more lime juice or ponzu for zing.
- Add the sauteed mushrooms to the dressing and leave them to absorb the flavours for 10 minutes.
- Add the noodles and gently toss in the dressing along with the edamame and, if you have them, reserved radish tops. Garnish with a few slices of pickled radish and the sesame seeds.