For the pickled shallots
1 small shallot, peeled
Splash red wine vinegar
Pinch of salt
Pinch of sugar
For the whipped feta
100g feta, crumbled
125g ricotta or other cream cheese
Zest of ½ lemon
350g mixed heritage tomatoes Salt
2 – 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
½ small (1kg, peeled weight about 350g) watermelon
100g green olives, crushed to pit
A few sprigs purple basil
- Finely slice the shallot into very thin rounds. Transfer to a small bowl and toss with the vinegar, salt and sugar. Set aside.
- Whiz the feta and ricotta in a small food processor until velvety smooth. Stir through the lemon zest and black pepper. Chill in fridge.
- Slice or chop the tomatoes into chunks and toss with salt and olive oil. Set aside.
- Peel the watermelon skin off with a sharp knife. Slice the watermelon into 1.5cm slices.
- Heat a griddle pan to very hot. Add the watermelon slices, as many as you can fit at a time without overcrowding. Sear on both sides for 2-3 mins and set aside to cool. Once cool toss with the tomatoes and their juices.
- When ready to serve, dollop the whipped feta onto a plate and pile up the watermelon and tomatoes, alternating between both.
- Add the pickled shallot, pitted olives, scatter with za’atar and garnish with the purple basil.