200g / 7 oz freekeh, or bulgur, rinsed well
olive oil for drizzling
½ cucumber, chopped
50g / 1.8 oz shelled pistachios, roughly chopped
100g / 3 oz seeds from a pomegranate
1 pink grapefruit, segmented (or an orange if not a fan of bitter)
a large handful of mint leaves
a large handful of parsley leaves
For the feta dressing
1 clove of garlic, peeled and halved
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tbsp pomegranate molasses
2 tsp red wine vinegar
1 lemon (juice and zest)
6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
200g/ 7 oz feta, broken into large pieces
picked herbs and sumac
- Leaving aside the feta, whisk the dressing ingredients in a bowl, using the juice from the lemon. Add the feta pieces and leave to marinate while you make the freekeh.
- Cook the rinsed freekeh according to the pack instructions. Drain and drizzle well with olive oil, season with salt and pepper and allow to cool.
- Prepare the cucumber, pistachio, pomegranate and grapefruit and place into separate corners of a large serving bowl.
- Rinse the herbs in cold water, chop most of the stalks off the parsley and mint. Take a small bunch, reserving a few whole leaves for a garnish. Gather the bunch together on the board and slice it as finely as possible. Repeat with the remaining herbs and toss through the freekeh with the dressing from the feta mix.
- Add the freekeh to the remaining ingredients in the serving bowl and toss well. Top with the zest of the lemon and the reserved herb leaves. Serve with the marinated feta, sprinkled with sumac.